-->

Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

FINISHED CONSTRUCTION: Ogdensburg Bridge

The Ogdensburg-Prescott International Bridge is a mile-and-a-half-long cable suspension bridge spanning the Saint Lawrence Seaway that links the north-central border of New York State with Canada. I was hired to photograph the bridge shortly after a $48 million rehabilitation project was completed. Above: About a half-hour after sunrise the sun began illuminating the bridge’s massive concrete supports.

My original plan was to arrive in the area around mid day, capture the bridge from several vantage points then head on to my next shoot about 70 miles away. After checking weather reports I elected to hit the road the night before to see what might unfold at sunrise. I arrived in Ogdensburg at 2:30 am and scouted-out the best vantage point to begin shooting the bridge at first light. From 3:30 am to 5:45 am I attempted to catch some shut-eye in my van in gusty 14-degree conditions.

Above: A local man directed me to a vantage point a few miles down river where I was able to capture the full profile of the bridge.

Above: It was overcast at sunset but early evening yielded a deep blue sky that made a strong backdrop for highlighting the bridge’s new lighting.

Above and below: Shortly after sunset a snow squall began moving in from the northwest which diffused the bridge lights to create an entirely different mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment